Monday, September 21, 2009

this n that

excuse me while i post my train of thought; im feeling a little overwhelmed and not overly creative..... plus it costs 8 bucks to be on the internet for an hour.....


- The ocean here is deliciously warm, and there are chickens in my neighbour's back yard

- Went to my first Gloupe party on Saturday at a university residence....if you think clubbing at Celebrities is a sensual experience, you are considered-- in the Gloupe-- frigid. Vachement so. Everyone grinds with everyone-- guys with guys, girls with girls...four people caressing eachother on the dormroom dance floor at once....gymnastic-like sexy moves...oh la la! I actually couldnt stop laughing out of nervousness/"prudishness"/culture shock/entertainment for the first half hour and then some very nice girls trained me in the art of Shakira-like hip movements. These girls have rythme, holy shaizzz. I danced a bit of "zuk" with some fellows-- kind of like bachata-- a slow dance. But i made sure to keep it prudent...

- Member how I was all like "i'm psyched to live sustainably!!! yay radical simplicity!!!!!!" Well, the theory behind the concept still excites me thoroughly. Nevertheless, i have to admit a little part of me died when i found out i have to wash my clothes by hand. I am a lazy one, folks. This will be good practice in learning to walk the walk!!!!!! :) I do however, now squeeze my own orange juice and lemonade...... it takes a heckload of oranges to make just one glass of juice!!!! at least 3! oh yeah, i provide my own music too; since my computer died and i don't own a radio yet, i sing at the top of my lungs. All those nights of Karaoke trained me well....

-People here are so personable!!!! If you walk into a bank, everyone turns around to say "bonjour" and "aurevoir". Very cool.

-I have friends!!!!!! On the plane ride over I met a Guadeloupen named Vincent. He has been awesome and so accomodating so far. On Friday he took me and his friend Tony on a hike-- we swam in a river, under a waterfall, and found some hot springs. There are sweet water crabs and shrimp here-- c'est la folie! On Saturday we had a bbq at tony's house, went wakeboarding (read: i attempted to wake board and they did flips), had dinner at vincent's parents house, and then went to the crazy dorm room party and then to a bar. i fell asleep at the bar probably at around 3am, and as soon as i did, the bartenders came over to bring me water and see if i was ok. Amazing.

-On Sunday my lovely landlord, Madame Quidal, invited me out with about four other family members. We went to her friend's house for a a delicious, gigantic creeole lunch, visited a museum and a river in the afternoon, and ended the day at the beach. Mme Quidal and her friend Mignone (which literally means "adorable") are in fact adorable. They were just laughing the whole day...about anything and everything. They have an amazing joie de vivre. The whole Quidal family is in fact so warm. They treat me like I'm part of the family and even invited me to spend christmas with them!!

I have to run as I have a phone date with the very lovely mmontaner. Love to you all and hope you are well. xox

4 comments:

  1. yay! this makes me want to come visit (or live) with you... sounds like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ay caro que rico diso mio, y naranjas para exprimir...bueno pues,mmhm...mira recuerda que eres la teacher de la comunidad, mucho cuidado con andar durmiendote en bares...por que crees que tuve que ser tan prudente con mi vida desde los 17 anos??? imagen teacheriana...besos, disfruta...canta... mam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pichi hola mi vida te puse unos nexos para maestros en tu gmail...espero te sirvan...manana te llamamos ok? besos! Naomi tuvo un varoncito (Tomas!) - te mande las fotos! besos mam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto what Mic said! Oh dude, I soooo wish I was there with you (especially wit chu bustin' a move on zee dance floor!)...totally in your element meeting new people, sharing your infectious energy and enthusiasm for la vida bella :)

    ReplyDelete